Saturday, March 12, 2011

Change Gonna Come

It's been a long, a long time coming, but I know
A change gonna come. Oh yes it will.

Funny how sometimes you simply say what you want. What you feel you need. And within a short amount of time an opportunity presents itself. It doesn't happen often... which is why when it does you take it. You try not to over analyze it or run scared. I have said for a long time, I know I need out of my shell. I need to do things for me (and not let guilt sneak up on me). It's time.

I have creeped back into my shell recently. I had a situation that caused me to do so, not in a bad way but I thought my shell would help. My protective shell doesn't fit me anymore, huh interesting how this growth thing works.

I need to meet new people. That's what I said. And suddenly within the two weeks since I have said it I have more than a few new social networking friends, on a couple sites. I have a friend telling me she wants to introduce me to someone. And I feel more confident (crazy I just used that word in reference to myself) when I am talking to people. I said it, I put it out there for you Secret believers ... ask and you shall receive. I did this because my bubble is too small. I mainly have these 4 groups 1. Family 2. High School friends 3. College friends and 4. (Former) Work friends. Not that any of them are bad and not that any new person I meet won't fit into one of those categories or that there aren't a (loved) stray or two that aren't categorized. I selfishly admit I want more.

I said previously I feel I am purely ordinary to look at, I do believe that. Because of it I tend to roll my eyes when someone gives me a compliment. I simply don't see myself that way. I know this is my issue ... I'm getting better and trying to just smile and say thank you but often I feel awkward. Like when someone is singing Happy Birthday to me... what are you supposed to do? Give a compliment back? Ok uhm this is what I would like to do but admittedly I am very bad at this... I want to blame it on the EX. I probably went 6 of the 8 years we were married (that may be me being nice too) without a compliment, not even a "you look nice today" or even "a nice ass" (it is, this I acknowledge wholeheartedly). I was told by my EX's sister that I am intimidating that men would have a hard time approaching me because I come off strong and independent, like I don't need them. Well if you met me on the street you would know I am not the least bit intimidating. But I am strong and I am independent. I had to be. And if they are anything like her brother, the EX, and feel me to be too strong and  independent to want them it's probably because they are too weak and needy for me anyway. And I don't want or need them!

So I here it is ... I am entering the world of meeting people. Seems silly I know. I plan on, very soon, writing a post that may help explain my crazy insecurities. But this is a big step .. it means I am meeting people, talking to people, attempting to get out of this cracked and super glued shell (that is suddenly too small for me) once and for all. No running no over analyzing. I am very go with the flow when in the moment but give me time to think .... and I will and will and will. I need both courage and encouragement but I can do this. Change gonna come, oh yes will.

2 comments:

  1. Very ordinary looking? Pfft. Not according to the picture I see. I think you're absolutely beautiful.

    It sounds like you're taking baby steps to getting out of this shell. Remember though, you'll feel vulnerable at times (instead of strong and independent). Don't be afraid of this! If you want a strong man, you should be vulnerable at times! A man WANTS to be desired and needed by his girl. There can be a healthy balance. You'll get there. I'm still working on it myself.

    I'm happy you're stepping out to meet others. Ask and ye shall receive. I believe it. It works.

    Much love to you my NEW friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you T! I am taking baby steps. Looking back and seeing where I was I have taken leaps and bounds. I agree a balance is definitely needed. I have all these walls I have put up b/c of those vulnerabilities. It will take some time and strength to break them down (from both sides).

    ReplyDelete